Dr. D. Y. Patil Biotechnology and Bioinformatics Institute is located at
Tathawade on the Bangalore-Mumbai National Highway along with Global Business
School & Research Centre and Dr. D. Y. Patil Institute of Hotel Management &
Catering Technology. It is close to Rajiv Gandhi Infotech Park at Hinjewadi
where many prestigious companies like Infosys, Wipro, KPIT Cummins, Satyam etc.
are located. Institute is at a distance of 15 km from Pune. It is well connected
to Mumbai by Express Highway & to other parts of country by road, rail and by
- Create a research base for academic development of staff as well as concomitant growth of students,
- Provide a sound foundation in humanities; basic sciences, bio-computation, technology (allied, applied and core), product designing, legal and ethical aspects of Biotech Industry, entrepreneur development; financial, human resource and business management, bioethics and quality control.
- Develop links with industries and understand their requirements,
- Establish links with hospitals and pharmaceutical companies for developing clinical research,
- Coordinate with farmers and agro-community for development of agro-based products,
- Inculcate aptitudes for employability and life-long learning process,
- Ensure high quality through a constant review of academic programs and co-curricular activities.
- Generate research capabilities so that they can contribute to the front line research in biotechnology and bioinformatics.
- Emerge as a recognized and accredited doctoral and post-doctoral level training.
The promotion of technology of relevance and service to the under-privileged remains the ultimate objective.
Biotechnology is industrial and pharmaceutical application of cell and molecular biology. Our greatest advantage is India's biodiversity and large pool of young scientists with strong base in physics, chemistry, biology, computation and mathematical sciences.
Bioinformatics is essential for development and design of new products and processes, reducing cost, manpower and time needed for a new discovery. Although the current market is not big (about a million US $), new developments in research and development (R & D) in pharma sector, contract research outsourcing (CRO), drug trials and medical informatics is going to change drastically India's role in this new upcoming industry.
Dr. D. Y. Patil Institute of Biotechnology & Bioinformatics qualifies for one of the finest institute awarding B. Tech in Biotechnology, Medical Biotechnology and Bioinformatics and M.Tech (integrated) in M.Sc. in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics and Ph.D. in Biotechnology & Bioinformatics. This is because of its excellent faculty and supreme infrastructure. Started in the year 2004 its Biotechnology labs are equipped with laboratory facilities in biochemistry, biotechnology, molecular biology, animal tissue culture and plant tissue culture. The Bioinformatics is well equipped with high speed computers, application software and Internet facilities. These gives an excellent opportunity for the creation of young graduates with sound theoretical & practical basis for venturing into 21st-century problems.